Should I take my Masters cap to Muskoka?



Just a quick note before I load everything up for a charity golf game up in Muskoka. The Union sponsored a foursome at a corporate fundraiser and asked me to attend. Imagine, a hacker like me golfing on some exclusive island course at $2K green fees. It freaks me out just thinking about it.

We just got back from my last Rail Council at the Unions Education Centre. The CAW put on a social evening and squeezed in a retirement ceremony for my predecessor, the wily John Moore-Gough, and I. It was a fine evening. I brought Val along and she sat back and watched as John and I were presented with a number of plaques, clocks, apparel (I would be remiss if I neglected to mention my confreres de francais had slipped me a chapeau du Masters) and tokens of appreciation. The evening was special when I realized I was ending my professional activism at the very same facility that hosted the initial merger talks of my birth rail union with the Canadian Auto Workers Union.

Ohhhh those were heady days. I was newly elected to represent a membership out of Winnipeg in 1989, when we were called into Toronto in 1990 and whisked of to a leadership meeting in The CAW’s Port Elgin training facility to have the rail worker unions leadership meet with the legendary Bob White. Several months later we were on track to merge with the CAW and lead the merged union into consolidating with all the craft unions in the Canadian railway industry.

Fast forward to last weekend, and Bob White, Buzz Hargrove attending the Rail Council, and, all the expatriates of the rail unions now sitting together while retirement speeches abound. It was truly a special night with many special friends.

Well, I better dig up a pail of golf balls. I just heard that this Bigwin Golf Club is “challenging”, which is another way of saying there are going to be lost balls. The things I do for charity……Fore.

Comments

SweetPea said…
And sit back I did...it was worth the price of admission just to watch the old retired guy, with hat in hand (literately), MAKE A SPEECH & TURN BEET RED...he was sooooooo cute....sigh

Popular posts from this blog

Ya better watch out, Ya better not pout....

Killer food at Big Boys on I-75 in Monroe County