Cruising and Canoeing

Aye, its a lovely marnin' this marnin' sipping my coffee out by the lake. I just got back from Winnipeg yesterday. I was feeling a little under the weather. I got up at 5am yesterday to hitch a ride with Mom and Dad to catch my flight and the stomach was a little wonky (wonky enough to pray to the porcelain God by 5:05 am, YUK!!). It appears I picked up the flu-bug that was stalkin' my granddaughter, Haley, when I drove out to Brandon, with my niece Rachelle (pictured right), to visit my son. Anyhow, the trip was a working trip, but I squeezed in some visits with family and friends, when meetings unexpectedly wrapped up early. I went out to Lorette with OG and visited my old friend, John Kuban and his wife Charlotte and son, Shane. It was really good to see them. John was the reason I got my first Harley. Actually, John was the builder of my first Harley, a 1973 "shovel-head" that I rode to Sturgis in 1984. John had his old "shovel-head", minus the side-car, parked alongside Shane's "Evo" sittin' outside the machine shed. The "Evo" was in pieces on the machine shed floor the last time I was over. John had built that as well, with Shane. It was good to hear the pipes rumble down the driveway when Shane left for his home. After a quick revisit of Johns property, he calls it his hobby-farm but you can see in his eyes, it's his passion, and a few beers and some catchin' up on old newz, and a good Cuban cigar that Charlie had grabbed for me from the house, it was time to head back to town to grab some sleep before the early flight. I told my beloved Val, they promised to come visit our lakeside digs by train in September, we can hardly wait.

Speaking of lakeside, my buddy Joe left a message on my cell that he was in the neighbourhood if I need a ride from the airport. Ya see, there had been some vehicle troubles in my absence and the "Grey-one" had given Val some tire troubles so my chauffeuring was in doubt. Nevertheless, my beloved had remedied the problems, so I called Joe to thank him for the offer, when he announced he had a line on a 17 foot sea-faring craft that we could, with minimal preparation, have water worthy in no time. Ya see, Joe had been cruising the boat trades circulars after we had decided some time ago, we were gonna enlist the co-operative principles for some water recreational type gear to take advantage of the lake and tributaries so close to our fingertips. He had been given a trolling motor for his anniversary while I was hunting down a canoe that my golfing buddy had promised to me and I would replace the canoe Joe had borrowed from a friend. Truth be told, it started with our mutual interest in flying lessons that was leading towards purchasing an ultra-lite, but friends and family cooled to the ideas we were brainstorming, so we ended up on the "high-seas" instead of the "big sky".

Back to the story..... "How much?" I asked.

"Its a good deal", he said, "but I can't do this one alone".

"Okay, how much?" I said again.

It was listed for $6 grand, but Joe felt we could deal for mid $5s. I started to work in my mind how I would line up my end of the financing when we broke of the call and agreed to hook back up later. Well, my flu-bug throttled in to full gear and I hit the blankets for the night. My beloved Val woke me this morning with phone in hand saying there was a message from Joe and I should give a listen. It appears we are going to rethink the plans of last night and stick to the co-operative option with the canoe. Now, if I could only remember the name of the guy I have to call to get my golfing bud's canoe. I think I wrote in on the scorecard we used. OY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ya better watch out, Ya better not pout....

Killer food at Big Boys on I-75 in Monroe County

Does health insurance satisfy Investors or Customers (patients)?