On the Road (without Jack Kerouac)

Well here I am languishing in Vancouver. The trip to haul the Union office furniture from Windsor to Vancouver, took an unexpected turn when my driving orders instructed me to avoid the US border to avoid any unnecessary delays from US Customs. My virtual GPS was re-programmed to stay on Canadian highways and inherit the additional 1000 kms that went with the new route. My "On The Road" trip (as I dubbed it on Facebook) removed the anticipated stops in Sturgis and Cour d'Alene and replaced them with Wawa and Dryden. OY. The plum in the reroute was the chance to overnight in Winnipeg at my folks.

I could not deny myself the opportunity to park the fully loaded U-Haul on the eastern limits of Winnipeg, in the drive way of my retired colleague Dennis Wray and knock on his door unannounced. "Never let it be said I never brought the Union office to Winnipeg" I exclaimed, when he opened the door, pointing at the U-Haul in his driveway. After a good-hearted laugh, I shared a cup of coffee with Denny, and his lovely wife Bubba, and caught up on all the gossip before I continued on to my folks.

The drive took me 5 days and I delivered the load to the door of the Local Union President and proceeded to my buddy Gerry's to hang for a week or so before I catch the train to head east.



The On the Road trip is going fast. We worked a few days, for Gerry's son Danny, at a local Maple Ridge car dealership, shuttling new cars contracted for rental duty. The hardest part of the job was the gettups at dawn and swiggin down a coffee before running out the door, after months of retirement. I spent the weekend in Mission and had loads of fun watching movies and playing guitar hero with Dan and wife Danielle, daughters Maxime and Renee (or Grenade as Gerry calls her..LOL) and kicking Gerry's butt in home Jeopardy. Ha Ha Gar....April Fools!!

All kidding aside, Gerry's generosity and humour has been the cherry on the cake of a trip to date. His tour, the other night, of the overview of Cypress, Grouse and Seymour slopes from Burnaby mountain was breathtaking and Pasa del Norte's Mexican cuisine in Blaine, Washington was more than delicious, it was positively addictive. Unfortunately an unsolicited fender bump at the border put a glitch in our plans to stop in White Rock to visit my beloved Val's sister and brother-in-law, Darlene and John. It's just too dam bad it has to end but I have a plane to catch later this month and it flies out of Winnipeg. I'll be in touch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ya better watch out, Ya better not pout....

Does health insurance satisfy Investors or Customers (patients)?

Killer food at Big Boys on I-75 in Monroe County