"It will be alright in the end, and if it is not alright, it is not yet the end"

Hi from Winnipeg. Its been a great visit overall. Met many many of the old friends and rekindled long lost friendships as well. The high school reunion was a treat. I was reluctantly anticipating the 50th reunion just because...well who is attractively or interestingly appealing after 50 years. Certainly not me. The evening was a blast however when several acquaintances were reconnected at the pub and reminisced the night away.

The best surprise was grammas collection of pictures of my granddaughter Haley in the First Nations community of Keeseekoowenin. She was born on my birthday in 2005. I had talked to her a few times last winter from Thailand but the lines had been lost. I was thrilled to see her pictures and very glad my mom continued her usual tenacity to persevere.

My usual family tradition of huddling with my immediate family at the local latte junction was not to be this trip. Family conflicts are invasive and intrusive but a reality. It saddens my heart but this is my reality with my eldest son for now. As the Buddhists say, "It will be alright in the end, and if it is not alright, it is not yet the end". Tolerance and forgiveness are practiced principles in some cultures. Perhaps someday those practices will be more abundant here. I can only hope. But for now, it is what it is.

 There was several very very special reunions with long lost near and dear friends, union colleagues, railway colleagues and school colleagues. The emails, twitters and Facebook were exchanged and I have garnered a growing list of boomers on my friends-lists. Some semi-centenarians continually abstain the social networking indulgences but they just don't seem to appear as outwardly current as the active net-workers I have witnessed from my old friends, this visit. In tribute and respect to the abstainers, at the boomers old age we really don't care what others think. Let those boomers never sign on to Instagram. LOL. To each his own.

 Unfortunately I am at the age where the era of weddings and anniversary announcements are not as prevalent as the obits. I cherish my friends reunions the most because it may be my last time friends shake hands and wish each other well. Each and every gathering is a celebration and my only regret would be to miss those handshakes. I would never do that. In the spirit of thanksgiving, thank you for good health, good spirit and good friends.

 Ill be in touch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ya better watch out, Ya better not pout....

Does health insurance satisfy Investors or Customers (patients)?

Killer food at Big Boys on I-75 in Monroe County